This week is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, and the National Landlords Association (NLA) is using the opportunity to remind landlords about the dangers of the deadly gas.

Also known simply as CO, carbon monoxide is released when appliances that run on gas, oil, wood or coal don't burn the fuel properly. It is an odourless and colourless gas that's also extremely poisonous, and if it goes undetected the results could be fatal.

The NLA reminds landlords that they are required by law to have a Gas Safe registered engineer carry out a check on all gas appliances every 12 months. A copy of the safety check record or certificate should be presented to the tenant within 28 days of the inspection.

In addition, landlords should have a carbon monoxide detector installed and show their tenants were the emergency gas shut of valve is in case of emergency.

Dave Craig from Wimborne in Dorset has experienced the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning first-hand. He told the NLA: "I was experiencing continual headaches when using my motorhome [...] I put the detector in the cupboard and planned to fit it the next day but before I had the chance, I was woken early in the morning by the detectors' alarm."

He adds that he believes he had a lucky escape and tries to warn other people about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Meanwhile, director of operations at the NLA, Richard Price, explained: "It's vital that landlords are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide," adding that the installation of a carbon monoxide detector in each property could mean the difference between life and death.

In addition to having boilers inspected on a regular basis and ensuring that CO detectors and fire alarms are in working order, there are a number of other ways that landlords can protect themselves and their tenants.

Investing in comprehensive landlords insurance, for example, will give you financial protection in case of fire, damage or theft.