Many thousands of Brits decide to flee our chilly temperatures each winter, taking up residence in warmer climes for as long as possible. If you’re lucky enough to be able to get on a plane and head for the sun this winter, make sure you consider your unoccupied property insurance needs fully before you go.

While many individuals, couples and families will only jet of for a couple of weeks, others may have a longer period away in mind. If you are intending to stay away for months rather than weeks, you should take the time to look over your home buildings and contents insurance policy and ensure it allows for the vacant period you will be away.

If you do find that your home policy does not cover the period your property will be empty, you should contact your provider as quickly as possible and find out what to do. Other insurance options or upgrades may be suggested, such as specialist empty property insurance.

While it can be tempting to simply jet off and leave thoughts of the UK behind you, with increased risks from storms and floods arising in the winter months – as well as the ever-present risk of burglary and other threats to your home – making sure your vacant property is covered during the winter is perhaps more important than at any other time of year.