If you’ve recently purchased a property abroad and have become one of our holiday home insurance customers, then you are undoubtedly looking forward to many months of sun and relaxation. But in order to ensure you maintain your peace of mind, it’s worth finding out about the country you’re going to be spending so much time in. For some people, one of the last things they think about is how they are going to find driving in their destination country.

Driving on mainland Europe can be very different to driving in the UK – and not simply because they drive on the other side. Each country has its own regulations, so it’s worth finding out about these before you go. Many, in fact, have noticeably more driving-related safety laws than the UK.

As you may know, unless your new holiday home is out with the EU, your UK license should be valid.
What you may not be aware of though, is that Spain, Italy and France all require you to carry a reflective jacket in your car. And all countries on the mainland EU oblige motorists to have a warning triangle in their vehicle. From the 1st of July, all motorists and motorcyclists (exclusive of scooter riders) are also required to carry a breathalyser in France. On this note it is worth bearing in mind that the French authorities enforce a 50mg/100ml alcohol limit for drivers, whereas in the UK the limit is 80mg/100ml.

It’s advisable to ensure you have adequate insurance both for your car and your general day-to-day activities.
With a little research and preparation, you can ensure the time spent driving to, from and around your second home is as hassle free and safe as possible.