Part-time landlords and holiday home owners are more likely to break the gas safety laws according to a report on dailymail.co.uk
According to the report, research suggests that one in five have not had an annual gas safety check undertaken or have used the services of a contractor who is not listed on the Gas Safe register.
In the article, a British Gas survey which was based on responses from 1,000 landlords and 500 tenants across the UK, shows that of part time landlords, 35 percent did not know that gas safety was a legal requirement and failure could be putting their tenants lives in danger from faulty boilers or potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning. Over a third of those surveyed did not know that gas safety checks were a legal requirement and a quarter were unaware that such checks need to be undertaken annually. However 80 percent did concern themselves with non-life threatening issues such as parking and pets.
MP and Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group, Mr Barry Sheerman said 'It is shocking that 38 per cent of landlords in the 'non-traditional' rental sector - which includes holiday lets, Airbnb accommodation, and lodgers - do not know that they are legally obliged to have a safety check conducted on all gas appliances in their premises.'
British Gas engineer, Sheena Anker said: 'Although they may only rent out a room or property for a few weeks each year, it's crucial for part-time landlords to ensure that their tenants are kept safe, and to stay on the right side of the law.’ Adding: ‘I've visited properties and seen unsafe appliances which either haven't been serviced in years or have been installed by illegal gas fitters.’ 'Worryingly, tenants are often oblivious to the danger they are in. To stay safe, tenants should ask landlords for a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate, following a check from a Gas Safe-registered engineer.'
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) it is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure the safety of their tenants, that gas appliances, pipework and flues are maintained in a safe condition, and that an annual safety check is carried out and a record kept. (http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/index.htm )
Landlords, whether they rent out a room, a house or several properties must ensure that they are up to date and compliant with all the current regulations. Landlords should also look to ensure that they protect their properties with appropiate insurance. Click4quote.com can provide simple landlord insurance buildings and contents including additional optional products for legal expenses. So why not get a quote online or call us today on 01206 655899.