Unoccupied Property Insurance

  • For vacant homes and empty property
  • No policy fees when purchasing
Get a Quote

Unoccupied property insurance for empty properties or vacant homes is often needed for property pending sale, undergoing renovation, awaiting probate or if the owner is temporarily away from the house. Sometimes, the owner is not ready to occupy the house or let it out.

  • Instant online unoccupied property quotes
    - suitable for vacant homes and empty property
    - buildings and contents cover available
  • Very competitive prices with no set up fees
  • Low standard excess of £250
    - up to 10% discount for higher excesses
  • Three different levels of cover available
    Level 1 Level 2* Level 3*
    Fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft
    Smoke damage, falling trees or branches
    Storm and flood
    Theft and attempted theft
    * subject to certain underwriting criteria
  • Insurance cover for unoccupied properties:
    - pending let/sale
    - pending owner occupation
    - undergoing renovation
  • Continuation of policy once rented
    - no need to change policy
  • The insurers are fully authorised and regulated in the UK
  • Covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and the Financial Ombudsman Service

Unoccupied Home Insurance for Vacant and Empty Property

If your home is empty you need specialist empty property insurance. Our established insurance for unoccupied buildings and contents has been meeting this requirement for over a decade.

Our unoccupied insurance often provides the solution when existing home insurance providers simply lapse cover when a house becomes vacant, creating a problem for property owners.

Get a quote from Click4quote, we are experienced unoccupied home insurance providers. There is a standard excess of £250 for empty property, which can be increased to a £1,000 in return for a 10% discount.

A great feature of this unoccupied house insurance policy is that if your empty building is undergoing renovation before letting or is pending let, we can simply change the cover once rented, just call us and we'll refund you any difference in price ... remember we don't make any policy adjustments fees.

The insurers of our unoccupied home insurance is Canopius, a privately owned insurer operating at Lloyd’s underwriting a diversified portfolio of specialist property risks.

Please note: We require a photo of the roof and all external walls for empty property insurance cover.

We offer unoccupied property insurance quotations for various situations where houses may become vacant or empty, these include:

Unoccupied Property Pending Sale:-

You may have been letting the property and have decided to sell. The property may sit unoccupied while a purchaser is found or the sale is completed - so unoccupied property insurance is required.

In the sad event of the owner passing away empty house insurance would be required by the executors until a decision is made about the future of the property.

As a property developer you may have purchased an unoccupied property and have renovated the building, requiring cover while the property is being sold. We can also offer terms for property insurance whilst the building is undergoing some renovation. Cover is dependent on the details of the renovation, including the nature of the work and estimated vacant period.

Unoccupied Property Pending Occupancy:-

The home may be unoccupied between tenancies when your current buildings insurance expires and the provider declines to insure the property until a new tenancy is in place. We will cover your property with our unoccupied property insurance and seamlessly switch cover to our landlord insurance once let.

A landlord may have just purchased the building but has yet to market the property for new tenants so the house remains empty - in this situation the property may be empty for a few weeks - or it may remain vacant for a longer period. In both cases empty property insurance is needed until the new tenant moves in.

Sometimes, the owner needs temporary specialist care so the home becomes unoccupied for an unknown period as the owner is planning to move back at a future date. Our unoccupied home insurance can offer both buildings and contents insurance for vacant houses in these circumstances.

The property may be a buy to let purchase and needs slight modernisation before letting, for example painting, new carpets, new bathroom.

Unoccupied Home Insurance For Your Empty Property

With our unoccupied home insurance you may select buildings insurance to cover the house or choose buildings and contents cover together. It can be very difficult to obtain contents cover on unoccupied property but we can help.

Our unoccupied property insurance also allows for redecoration to minor renovation works being undertaken at the home. In these circumstances cover and terms vary so each empty house insurance quote is bespoke.

When your property becomes occupied by a tenant you can keep the same policy, just call us and we will automatically refund any money due, saving you time and money searching for another provider.

If you move into the empty property, we offer competitive home insurance, allowing you to select the cover you need at great prices.

We do not have the option to offer empty property insurance for unoccupied buildings that are derelict, are to be demolished or are commercial premises.

Policy Documents

Unoccupied Property Insurance

You will require Adobe PDF reader to access these files.
If you are unable to open PDF documents, you can download the software by clicking here.

Click here to get a quote online now or call us on 03450 89 90 91

Your feedback is really important to us. If you would like to tell us about your experience please click here.

Back to top


Your feedback is really important to us. If you would like to tell us about your experience please click here.