Clients with empty property often plan to convert their properties to let them out. Fire safety is an absolute must and it is important to check that any work you are doing will comply with the rules. A Devon landlord has been fined £135,000 for breaking fire safety laws after a fire at his building in 2008.

The terraced house had seven bedrooms rented out and the fire precautions were below the appropriate standard, for example some doors did not have self -closing mechanisms or smoke seals. Luckily no one was injured in the blaze but the house was badly damaged and personal property destroyed.

It is estimated that the landlord will face a legal bill in the order of £100,000 and the house has since been sold.